Thursday 27 September 2007

Fast

1. Not losing your head and blaming it on everthing else

Its true, Michael Blackburn is God. And for a pom to say that about an Aussie is pretty much tantamount to treason, but if you want to know why go check out his Sailing Mind Skills material. I've been listening to the stuff for a couple of months now and it has really helped me to maintain focus when racing. Instead of sitting at the back of the fleet cursing my bad luck I started to plan my way back to the front. So instead of sitting in the dirty air downwind I started...



2. Sailing by the lee

I just decided I needed to something to get away from the pack so instead of joining the procession on a dead run up to the mark I sailed down and by the lee. When the gusts hit I really took off and pulled back a shed load of places, broad reaching into the mark then...

3. A smooth gybe onto the reach

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the person who loses least boat speed around the marks is half way there on a small course. Healing as the boom came over then squeezing it back flat helped me get straight onto a plane and pick up another shed load of places before hardening up at the next mark and...



4. Tacking on the headers

In oscillating winds on a puddle you have to be absolutely sure a shift is a shift, especially when its getting to you via overhead power cables which are stretched across the lake. Instead of tacking as soon as my sail flapped I had the confidence to hang on for a few seconds to make sure it was a header then tacking, and this lifted me clear of the pack and chasing the leaders.



So I ended up crossing the line in 5th place. The inevitable handicap lottery dragged me down a few more places but, hey, you have to beat them on the water first!



Now, where's my epoxy kit and the sledge hammer?

No comments: