Thursday 27 September 2007

Not Fast

1. Falling in on the start line

Club race on Sunday, lined up perfectly all set to go, as I sheet in a huge gust blows in down the line and backs the sail. My arse delicately kisses the water and I'm on that awfully poised point where I'm not going in but not going to get back in the damn boat either. Only option is to let go and fall in. Back in the boat quick and off like a whippet but well at the back of the fleet.



2. Boat full of water Again!

A-bloody-gain! For the third time this year I need a truck to haul the boat up the slipway because the hull is full of water. I haven't had a proper look yet but I'll bet my carbon tiller extension its the join between the deck and the hull, just where it sits on the trolley. Looking closely I can see now that the gunnel supports on the trolley aren't sitting right inside the lip of the hull. I'll now be praying to the weather gods that the temperature doesn't drop too much before the weekend and it stays dry, so I can epoxy it. Oh, and pass me the sledge hammer, I'm going to fix the gunnel problem for good!



3. Sitting in dirty air downwind

Our fleet being a handicap fleet, and our courses involving a tour round the lake resembling the London Tube Map, means that if you don't get in front you're being blanketed by half a dozen sails bigger than yours. Or, you're stuck in amongst the trailing pack and can't get out because even if you stick your nose out in front, you'll be blanketed after the next windward mark by all the boats behind you.

No comments: